Sunday, February 11, 2007

Community Supported Agriculture

On Friday, we organized a homeschool group tour of an organic CSA farm in Rainbow, not far from where my folks live in Fallbrook. What a delightful place it was, a balm for the soul, and the owner was energetic and organized yet quite relaxed about the sometimes intense energy of our group of 40 or so elementary-aged kids. She had them cracking and sorting macademia nuts, planting seed trays, feeding the llamas, collecting eggs and mulching an heirloom potoato field with alfalfa as she led us on a long and hilly walking tour of her 20-acre farm. (I had my eye on the doublewide mobile home she rents out for $1400 a month -- what a view you'd have from every window! Don't think I managed to talk the family into renting it out though... sigh.)


Maddie, Stone and a gaggle of kids gathering macademia nuts to put in the cracking machine...








Maddie and Saylor in the chicken barn























Our wonderful new friends Karen with Sage in the sling and Stone planting seeds










Harry and Stone and a llama







Maddie collecting some macademia nuts in the grove









I'll have to post more about Karen, John and their three children, who we've been playing with as much as we can, of late. I'm enormously grateful to have met them, as they've brought such fresh and wonderful energy into our lives. Ever meet someone who lives in ways you'd like to live and opens you up to new experiences and ways of thinking that you hadn't considered before but which feel wonderful to you? Yeah, they're like that...

2 comments:

hahamommy said...

"Ever meet someone who lives in ways you'd like to live and opens you up to new experiences and ways of thinking that you hadn't considered before but which feel wonderful to you? Yeah, they're like that..." YEAH they sure are!! I'm glad to know they're being appreciated so far from home! :)

Sue said...

Hi Diana! Yes, I'm absolutely delighting in the energy I'm absorbing from Karen and her tribe...

Has Karen told you about the synchronicity you represent in my life? When I was first reading through her blog last month I was stunned to see that you two are real-life friends. I spent many an hour on MDC for a couple of years when my two were very young and I clearly remember reading your posts there. I don't know that I ever even responded to one, but I have always been struck by your writing voice and your experiences, and I remember your online presence clearly, even though it's been years since I've spent much time there...
As extraordinary as you both are, it shouldn't surprise me that you know each other in real life!