Wednesday, April 11, 2007

From the coast to the Rockies

Steve and Harry and I (Maddie points out that Harry appears to have lost an arm)

Maddie with Aunt Cindi



Two weeks ago we were at the beach at Camp Pendleton basking in the (somewhat chilly) sun, then a few days later I was driving back to Colorado with Cindi and the boys asking "is that snow on the side of the road?" as we sped through eastern Utah.

The kids had a great time with the cousins, as usual and we all enjoyed the weather (aside from the sandstorm that raged our first full day there). Steve and I walked for miles, sometimes together, sometimes on our own. It was wonderful to walk up the coast and see relatively undisturbed sand dunes and sea cliffs that ran for miles and miles. I can imagine what it must have been like when all of California looked like this. Unfortunately, it turns out we were violating the military regs and were kindly warned off by a state game warden. The military runs their amphibious vehicles up and down this stretch of coastline (right next to the endangered least tern nesting sanctuary, which was why the game warden was there, I suppose) and we were rather in the way of exercises. Darn it. I absolutely loved lying on the warm sand with only shorebirds for company.

After a bleary, 16-hour drive to Colorado, I spent two days blitzing through Fort Collins, visiting the unitarian church there (huge congregation!), the local unschooling group (I felt so at home, sitting with the three moms and their great kids at the funky 70s era roller rink that was a blast from my past) and meeting a wonderful real estate agent (and 30-year Shambala Buddhist) who showed Cindi and I around the city one day. I was hoping for a clear-cut sign that this was the right move for us, and I have to say, I got it in Adana. How many Buddhist real estate agents do you know (maybe there are more than I realize, but I was just hoping for someone who could hear me when I said that we wanted land, not too much house and funky was okay).

It turns out that Adana's Buddhist community may be selling the house they meet in this summer -- what better vibes could a place have than to be a meditation hall for years on end! It'll probably be in or below our price range, it's definitely a fixer, but it's on a half acre of land (funky long, skinny lot, though) with a wonderful neighbor to one side, a veterinary anesthesiologist with two boys, two dogs, two horses and a goat. When I told her I wanted to raise chickens, she said, "Wait just a sec," and disappeared into her barn, returning with an armful of peeping chicks!

Who knows if this place will work out, but I definitely take it as a sign that we're looking in the right place!
Here's the back entrance (click on any photo for a giant view)


The outbuilding and tree fort



And the long skinny backyard


Next we meet with our Realtor, to find out how much work we really have to do to get our house ready for market and get going on that. I want to go back to Colorado with the whole family to be sure that everyone's okay with the move and to see more of the city. I feel so energized by what I've seen of it!

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Good luck with that. We moved 6 months ago from So cal to South Denver.

We are going out near Pendleton next month.

Glad you had an uneventful trip.

Unknown said...

Ahh, so good to see your shining faces, and the house is cool, I love it! So, ya have room for our big bus to plug in, too, I'm sure! :) Keep us updated!