Friday, December 14, 2007

New Desk

Yesterday, I woke up feeling mildly depressed again, which I've hesitated to blog about, as I know that recounting depressive thinking (it's crazy cold and it's only early December, I'm trapped in a house with two kids and no friends, what have I done with this move) only strengthens it, and I know that I could tell myself a different story and feel very cozy and happy (it's a beautiful winter's scene outside, the kids are happily engaged in their new home, I can putter about to my heart's content).

But nonetheless I was feeling down yesterday morning, then I had a long and wonderful conversation with my Mom, which made me feel 100 percent better and more connected. So I decided to call up a friend I haven't seen yet since this move and invite her and her three girls over. What a wonderful afternoon we had, making homemade pizza and scented soaps and talking!

They stayed till early evening, then I spent the next 4 1/2 hours putting together a new desk for Maddie, an early Christmas present. Luckily, I'm not working right now, as I managed to slice, bruise and blister my hands pretty good in the process. But it's done, and with any luck, I may be able to reclaim the dining room table for actual eating! We'll create a work station for Harry today.



Here's Maddie and Harry sitting at the desk this morning, sketching. Maddie wanted to place it in front of the dining room window so she could sketch Cherry and Snowflake, our two resident front-yard squirrels, while they nosh on seeds and peanuts.
















Here's a drawing Maddie did of Cherry (and yes, she did the animals in the corners too, which are glued to magnets -- I think that's Fang on the lower left)

















And here's Harry's sketch of the back of our digital camera!

2 comments:

Barbara Sullivan said...

Excellent post honey. I've just loaded one about my birthday. Enjoy.

Maddie, is the squirrel called Cherry or Cherrypie? And why?

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Tiff's. Nice to see what you've been up to.
What great sketches. I love looking through all the creative stuff you guys have going on in daily life. I need to work on my own blogger if anything just to document what creative things we have going on. They can be overlooked since we have a different lifestyle full of movie watching, tv favorites, computer gadgets, video games etc... Sometimes I think I might be a crunchy granola mom stuck in the wrong environment. LOL All it takes is seeing Jeff and Ava excited over the next Avatar episode and them acting out a new scene with her characters she thought up and I'm back to realizing I am in the right environment afterall. :) Nice to see you guys having fun in the snow we need to find some to play in soon.
---Suzanne