Friday, February 1, 2008

February!

Wow, I don't think I've ever been as excited to see February begin as I am this year. Living in a winter climate definitely sharpens your awareness of time (or at least season) and its passage.

I'm thrilled that tomorrow is groundhog day, believe it or not. I used to think that was a silly publicity stunt made up by some small town. I never realized this before, but it's exactly six weeks after solstice so it marks the end of "solar winter," the 12 weeks of the year that have the least light, and from here on out, we could start growing plants in a coldframe (if we had one set up. Next winter!).

We're in a time called late winter now (deep winter ended about a week ago) and I can feel it (either that or Colorado's notoriously changeable weather is simply obliging my brain's need to see patterns in everything.) But whatever the reason, the snow has melted for us, the temperatures aren't as cold and the quality of light has changed. I can imagine the possibility of spring. I remember, even living in mild California, that in the depths (okay, the shallows) of winter, I couldn't really remember how summer felt, the prickling of heat on the skin as soon as you walked into the sun, the days that were hot before they began, and the reverse was true too, I couldn't remember in the heart of summer, what a chilly day felt like. So, I can't say that I can envision summer here yet, but I can definitely imagine spring. We're getting it lately, a day here or there. Ah, and it's glorious.

We're doing very well. I'm enjoying myself being at home with the kids, not coercing myself as much on the "chores! to-do list! accomplish something today!" front, having the emotional space to be more present with them. I'm playing so much more with my kids, and we're learning so much. Board games, card games, computer games (still love those Nancy Drew mysteries, Mom. Thanks!), crafts, projects and toys.

We've been having some fun get-togethers with folks on the unschooling list. We hosted a playdate to make fairy gardens last week, we went rollerskating for the first time this week (fun! I'm doing it every week! I say this not having fallen down yet...) and we went over to our friend Jill's house and learned about World of Warcraft from Luke. Harry wants to play with Luke every day at his house and have sleepovers there and Maddie wants Luke to come over every day. I love how completely enthralled kids are about their experiences, they hold nothing back and it's an enthusiasm and openness that I'd love to recover in myself.

Maddie wants to post various photos, and I've promised Mom I'd post some video tours of the house, but for now, this will have to do.

Looking forward to February and really enjoying staying at home and exploring this new life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, because it helps me get a better feeling for what it's like there right now. I love that you are getting glimpses of spring! :-)

When we arrive, we'll definitely be having some sort of structure for our gardening, so we can harvest as long as possible.

Thanks for sharing your blog with me!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO